One day, my good friend texted me about quitting her career, as she was not happy when her former boss treated her worse than everyone else. She was a little depressed that she did not have many friends around in her city, she was very lonely at home. Furthermore, she has been married for over 25 years and she has a teenage daughter. I live so far away, and my friend lives in a big city, while I live in a small town. Sometimes, I text and check with her for awhile. So we talk, laugh, and make jokes through texting.
Depression can be overburdening and can be painfully insane. Usually, it is a toxic feeling. You can imagine as if you are in a dark room with no light. Love escapes and the things you used to find exciting aren’t fun anymore. Even winning a game would not beat someone out of depression. Unfortunately, it isn’t cheap, but there are ways to overcome the depression.
10 Ways To Overcome Depression
1) Talk with close friends and family. My friend has major depression, but she knows that depression is a toxic emotion. She talks with me sometimes about her family, career, and children. Talking with other people makes you feeling better.
2) Go to the gym or find a partner for walking. Do you have a paid membership from the gym? If so, that’s good! But, if you do not have a paid membership, you do not have to worry about that! You can find the local gym for free. For example, I found one church that offered a free fitness class. Otherwise, you can ask your partner who loves walking.
3) Write a private journal. Do you enjoy writing in a journal? You will feel better when you write a page in your private journal in each day. If you write more than one page, that’s great! Writing a private journal helps you to get off depression.
4) Go to the local charity organization. Do you want to do something that you are interested in volunteering? If you choose to volunteer in an animal shelter, that’s a good start. You will find yourself feeling better when volunteering.
5) Go to the local church. Do you want to be in a social environment with new friends from the local church? That would be awesome! You will find a great opportunity to get volunteer in the church. I am sure that many regular attendees from the church will be happy to help you.
6) Go to the local adult school for crafts. Do you enjoy crafting? If so, that would be great. You will not feel bored at home. Once you get to the craft class, you will be surprised that you make new friends there.
7) Booking a getaway. Do you enjoy traveling? When you are planning to travel, I’d suggest that you ask your friend to go with you. If you prefer to go alone, that’s fine. But, being a traveler alone is a little depressed. Don’t say that I did not warn you.
8) Visiting your favorite blogs. Do you enjoy reading blogs? Once you visit your favorite blogs, just write simple words in the comment section like you say, “Hi, I am new here…” You will see when other commenters reply back. Do not feel discouraged if commenters do not reply back. Keep reading blogs.
9) Find your best animal friend or companion. That’s good idea to have a pet at home, as you can play or feed your pet. My family and I have 6 dogs at home, and feeding them all gets expensive, but they are worth it. I really enjoy watching my 6 dogs play with each other and my husband keeps very busy taking care of them. They love chasing him around the yard or dog park.
10) Reading the bible. Do you have a bible at home? If not, you can ask one of the local church for free bible. My family and I read our bible everyday for spiritual guidance and connection. Connection with each other, and most importantly, connection with God. He loves us and just wants to be a part of our lives. He created us for His personal enjoyment, for companionship,. and nothing makes Him happier than having us, His favorite creations, talk with Him. Romans 8:38-39 says nothing can separate us from God’s love. He loves us unconditionally, so even if we have no one else on this Earth, we can always count on God’s everlasting promise to see us through.
Which one of these do you want to overcome your depression? Share your thoughts in the comment section.
P.S. I’m linking up this post in some of these incredible parties.