Sometimes, people may or may not know why they lose faith in God. For some reason, he or she might be depressed or angry with something else or someone. Some people feel like God does not listen to their prayers, but He has His reason. Remember, God has been testing everyone’s faith. Let’s find out 7 reasons why people are losing faith in God.
7 Reasons Why People Are Losing Faith In God
- Spiritual Confusion. Some people are somehow confused with themselves spiritually and emotionally. For instance, one young Christian girl was not sure about herself because she curiously participated in Wiccan. She thought that practicing Wiccan wasn’t harmful, but she was wrong. She said that losing faith in God seemed like disconnecting from Him. Somehow, she was foolish to do something harmful to her soul; she turned back to ask God for His forgiveness and repented. Now, she takes adequate time to restore her faith in God while studying her Bible with the young adults’ small group. Encouragement advice: always look up to God, not to yourself or your own feelings. “Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.” ~ 1 John 4:1, ESV
- Negativity. Some people are emotionally frustrated with God since they continue to pray and seek some answers to their situations. Some people haven’t received their answers from Him. For example, one Christian is an older gentleman and a former pastor. He had an affair with another woman while his wife was dying from cancer. People from the church talked about his disgraceful behavior, including his affairs. He felt so guilty, and he continued to pray for God’s forgiveness, but he hadn’t “heard” anything from Him. He felt like a failure and a loser, but God had His reasons. Perhaps, this person had not told his wife about his affairs before she died. Still, he needed to repent and ask for God’s forgiveness. The first thing was that he needed to ask one woman with whom he had an affair for her forgiveness. He came out courageously to ask the woman for her forgiveness. She angrily shut the door on him for his disgrace and dishonesty. Afterward, he humbly repented his sins to God and asked for His forgiveness. Encouragement advice: stay strong and patient with God while He works in your life. Praying continually is the key to communicate with God. “Pray without ceasing” ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:17, ESV
- Grief. Some people lost their loved ones in the cause of losing faith. Their situations vary from divorce to tragic accidents. God has His purposes. For example, 5 years ago, a Lutheran married couple lost their 5 day-old daughter due to health complications. They kept praying to God but hadn’t received any answers from Him. They felt betrayed and did not know why God did not answer. The couple needs to be saved since they are struggling to believe in God. If the couple invites Jesus Christ in their hearts, then God would come to help them. Consequently, the couple still is not saved and they stopped believing in God because they lost faith in Him. Encouragement advice: if you experience grief, then find grief counseling at your local church and they will help you with this. “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” ~ Psalm 147:3, ESV
- Abandonment. This word, “abandonment” sounds very heartbroken. Some people feel surrounded by God; later, they feel their faith in God fade away. Maybe they let Satan playing around their feelings of being abandoned. For example, one Christian woman was kicked out of her parents’ house because of her acting in adult films when she was very young. She dated a few men, but she ended up in abusive relationships. She was lost and she did not know where to go. Eventually, her old friend from High School ran into her unexpectedly and brought her to the Missionary Shelter for Domestic Violence. An old friend was so kind to her and talked about God. She decided to go to church and learned more about Jesus Christ. As a result of that, she was saved and baptized. She knew that God never leaves her. Encouragement advice: if you feel abandoned by God, do not think of that way. God needs you to trust in Him and walk in faith with Him every day. “Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” ~ Hebrews 4:16, ESV
- Loneliness. People are feeling lonely since they have health issues, personal conflicts, relationship problems, or work issues. For example, one young female Christian has a history of her manic depression including bipolar disorder. She attempts to make some new friends, yet she does not know how to greet properly. She is scared of being judged whenever she meets a new friend. She feels that she is going to wind up alone forever because of her awkwardness. She prays so hard to reach to God; however, she feels that He is not able to answer her. Encouragement advice: if you are lonely and depressed, then you can ask your pastor from your local church to help you find some help. Or, you can check your local church for the recovery celebration. They can help you with making new friends. “Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted.” ~ Psalm 25:16, ESV
- Hypocrisy. Lots of people turn into hypocrites at the church in the cause of judgemental and arrogant behaviors. For instance, one Christian woman used to love attending her local church, but she found that a lot of Christians were strongly judgemental and arrogant because they insult other people who are different than them. Some strict Christians even judged her a few times. Consequently, she decided not to go anymore because she believes that God loves all people including both unbelievers and believers. Encouragement advice: if you find that some people are hypocrites at your church, you can humbly correct them with gentleness (2 Timothy 2:25, ESV). If this situation is not solved, you can share your concerns with the senior pastor or elders. It helps them to know what happens at the church, but you can find a different church if the pastor or elders do not have anything to solve this problem. “If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless.” ~ James 1:26, ESV
- Conflicts in Religion. People have many various kinds of religion including Buddism, Wiccan, Catholics, or others. For so many years, people changes. Some people quarrel over their opinion views about religion. Some people make decisions to be atheists or Christians or Catholics. People do not know their religion. They are confused about where they are supposed to belong. Millions of people are losing their faith for so many reasons. For example, one Christian man married his unsaved wife because they just love each other. Personally, both have conflicts in the area of religion because they have a baby while their families argue over the baby’s baptism. Encouragement advice: Simply seek the truth in the Bible. “And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” ~ John 8:32, ESV
If you are the one who lost your faith in God or you know who is losing faith, then don’t ever think that God leaves you or refuses to answer your prayers. Remember that, God allows Satan to play around us like the story of Job. Have you read the Bible about Job? I am sure that you will understand how God tests our faith. Garth Brooks wrote a song called “Unanswered Prayers” that my husband and I encourage you to listen to if you are able to. If not, look up the lyrics… you will see why.
IHEART LINK-UP PARTY #47
THE LAST WEEK ‘S TWO FEATURED POSTS
Congratulations on the featured post: “Aiming for Less to Room for God“
Congratulations on the featured post: “Do You Judge the Victim? How Much Is She Worth?“
If your post is being featured, please grab the featured image below and add it to your post (or the sidebar).
- Follow my social media: Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest ( It is not mandatory 🙂 )
- Add only 1-2 Christian blog posts. No LDS, Mormon, or other religious posts are allowed.
- Do not allow to link up any sale posts from your blog or sale posts that direct to Etsy, eBay, or Amazon –Please do post only blog posts.
- Please visit at least 2 blog posts. Share or comment via the blog posts. Make new friends and get to know each other. Saying “Hi” would not be harmful.
- Link back to the #iHeartVerseParty in your post, you never know if your post would probably turn to be the featured one. 🙂
And… I have “iHeart Verse Link Party” Pinterest Board below:
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
*Don’t miss the party, then let’s sign up for my iHeart Verse link party below to remind you via your email inbox*
This post is linking to this link-up parties directory
I recently heard that most people who lose their faith don’t do it because of Jesus but because of surrounding factors, which you point out. When we see Jesus for who is actually is–love incarnate–we grow in faith!
Thanks for featuring my post here on What Is a Girl Worth. It was a difficult book to read but such an important one, so I’m glad to spread the word about it.
Joyce Cortes Mackenroth
Right, Lisa! In the meantime, congratulations on your featured post 🙂
Karen Del Tatto
Indeed these reasons can certainly test a persons faith.
Praising God that He is always faithful even when our faith is lacking.
Thanks for sharing.
Joyce Cortes Mackenroth
Yep, Lauren! Thanks for stopping by here 🙂
I know a lot of people who have lost faith in the church for these reasons, which then sadly causes distance from God. I love the encouragement you offer for each reason
Joyce Cortes Mackenroth
Hi, Valerie – Yes, thank you for stopping by here 🙂
Lauren Renee Sparks
It is so easy to look at things around us and not on Him. This is good encouragement to keep the faith and help those around us along as well.
I think after 10 or times a day praying for this nation and the election loss that this country is done. That is the I lost faith, all one can say is no answer, don’t expect to hear from me again!
“Remember that, God allows Satan to play around us like the story of Job.”
Therein lies the problem.
I’m more than justified in blaming the owner instead of the dog here.