Thanksgiving day is coming soon! Are you excited to attend Thanksgiving dinner with your family and friends? Of course, I bet that you are excited to see your family and friends. Meanwhile, some people do not want to come to Thanksgiving dinner for some reasons. Some people prefer to go to Thanksgiving dinner in some restaurants instead of attending the dinner with family and friends in hopes of avoiding the family feuds or other personal issues. Some people do not believe in any traditional holiday for various reasons.
I am sure that you would like to hear what happened in my Thanksgiving dinner with my former boyfriend a few years ago. Let me tell you a little story, I did go to Thanksgiving dinner with my former boyfriend and found that his family and friends brought up the old past issues and yelled at each other loudly. It made me feeling like I wanted to leave soon, my former boyfriend was embarrassed and took me out to the movie without saying goodbye to his family and friends, we just tried to forget what happened.
I am writing a post about 5 things not to say at Thanksgiving dinner to help you prepare your attendance properly and respectfully. Please know that Thanksgiving is very special traditional holiday for the family and friends together.
5 Things Not To Say At Thanksgiving Dinner
- Religion. Some people have different kind of religions, but they need to respect each other. When you go to Thanksgiving dinner with your family and friends, you find that they have different kind of their religions. Advice: Do not bring up any religious stuff during Thanksgiving dinner in order to avoid getting hurt from the others.
- Family (or Friends) Feud. A lot of people have family & friendship issues, but they should manage their behaviors just like civil people who enjoy spending time with family and friends. Once you find yourself to sit right next to your enemy, do not throw your anger out at Thanksgiving dinner. Advice: Control yourself calm and enjoy spending your time with your special ones.
- Special Dietary Preferences. Some people mention that they are on diets, they rather avoid eating a lot of greasy foods during Thanksgiving dinner. However, they should not say that to these people who cook because they make amazing delicious foods for special Thanksgiving dinner. Advice: Do not say anything about greasy foods, you do not have to mention that you are on diet.
- Political Discussion. Many people have discussed a lot of political things during Thanksgiving dinner. Some people feel uncomfortable talking about political issues because they think that talking about political issues is overwhelming. Advice: Do not discuss political issues with people during Thanksgiving dinner.
- Gross Foods. Some people say that the foods are awful during Thanksgiving dinner in the front of the people. It’s hurtful to hear this, it’s not okay to say “Yikes! I don’t like what you cook.” What if your girlfriend’s mother cooks and you end up disliking it? How can you handle that? Advice: Do not say any foods that you dislike.
Hahaha, this is so true! My family always gets in arguments and family conflicts before dinner!
Awesome post … you have shared a very valuable post dear..
Those are good ones. Here’s another one for you: Don’t talk about medical problems. I don’t want to hear about bunions or bladder infections while I’m eating.
Ana De- Jesus
I can imagine that speaking about religion is definitely not a smart move !
Robin Rue (@massholemommy)
We try to keep it light at the Thanksgiving table, too! It’s not worth ruining the day.
This is a great list. I really hate it when people discuss politics at a family gathering.
Thanksgiving is not a tradition in our country but I will remember these for any family occasion!
My family constantly brings up politics. They’re all on the same side of the fence that way so it works for them, but I’m on the other side so I have to just bite my tongue!
Unfortunately those are the things that are discussed the most..LOL
We all need to think before we speak. Good points here.
Good info. Thanks for sharing.
This is great! I think my family says all of these things LOL
If only people were able to hold their tongues at dinner! Or other times, too.
Life as a Convert
I think it’s rude to say these things anytime. People work hard to cook and it’s terrible to talk bad about it.
I thought you were supposed to fight at these gatherings? Just kidding! Great tips.
That’s all so true. I don’t know if families are extra sensitive during Thanksgiving, but it’s better to be safe.
Eating my family dinner is drama free. My in-laws on the other hand you keep the conversation very light.
This are a great post. I hate talking about the religion. good info
i get what you are saying about religion however, if you are hosting the meal and want to pray there is nothing wrong with that. My recommendation for people on diets would be if you are not cooking instead of having the meal catered to you bring your own meal that works within your restrictions
i guess it’s okay to talk about this things when you are with your family but with friends and other people, i guess it’s very important to stay on topic related to all of you,
This is important to remember, just enjoy Thanksgiving Dinner with friends and family it would be fun.
Great advice, but if there’s a gross dish on the table, I’m going to say something! LOL!
Great article… absolutely stay away from political discussion
Shaylee @ Data Nerds
I agree with all of these things, especially in a family setting. People like to speak their minds more when they’re comfortable so things can get heated!
One should really be careful with words that will be used whenever in the dining table. It should be a place for healthy conversations rather than arguments. Hehe. Yet sometimes, this is easier said than done 🙂
yes while there are many awesome topics to be introduced and discussed over dinner these are most likely topics that should not be
LOL I love this, and know some people who need to give this a read.